Medicare Now Offers ‘Care Choices’ in Virginia!
The Center for Medicare & Medicaid Innovation selected Mountain Valley Hospice & Palliative Care to administer its "Care Choices" demonstration model in June 2017 in North Carolina. Now it is being offered to the communities in Virginia. "This is a wonderful opportunity for folks in Virginia to continue to get the very best healthcare service," said Denise Watson, Executive Director of Mountain Valley Hospice & Palliative Care.
Here's how it works: "Care Choices" is a plan to allow qualified patients to receive both palliative and curative care at the same time.
The benefits of "Care Choices" include:
- Pain and symptom management
- Care coordination with medical providers
- Case management by the "Care Choices" team
- Emotional and spiritual support
- Completing Advanced Directives
- Education on disease and treatment options
Those eligible for "Care Choices" include individuals diagnosed with:
- Advanced Cancer
- Advanced COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)
- Advanced CHF (Congestive Heart Failure)
- End Stage HIV/AIDS
Requirements for participation in "Care Choices":
- The candidate must be enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B.
- The doctor or provider must state in writing that the individual has a life expectancy of six months or less.
- Participants must have been to the hospital once (ED visit, hospitalization, or admitted for observation) within the last 12 months, and had three doctor visits within the last twelve months related to the diagnosis.
- At the time of enrollment, the patient must reside in a traditional house, rather than a nursing home, or an assisted living facility.
("Care Choices" professionals can assist patients with this eligibility screening process and can answer questions for family members and loved ones.)
Payment for "Care Choices":
- The patient's Medicare Benefit will pay for the "Care Choices" team. Medications, equipment, therapies and visits to primary physicians and specialist providers are billed to Medicare as before, and established co-pays will apply.
It is easy to access care by calling Mountain Valley Hospice & Palliative Care toll-free at 1-888-789-2922, or visit www.mtnvalleyhospice.org/care-choices.